Tadka Bread is a delicious, quick, and easy snack recipe that features bread cubes tossed in curd and a variety of Indian spices. It requires few ingredients, comes together in a mere 5 minutes, and is an excellent way to use leftover bread.
This bread tadka recipe offers the perfect break from your regular old bread butter. It is mildly spicy, savoury, and has a zing to it. The bread pieces soak up the mixture and give you a wonderful burst of flavour in each bite.
With Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you also save a lot of time and do not have to worry about peeling and chopping onions and tomatoes. This recipe is a quick fix for breakfast, evening snacks, or as tiffin in your lunch box.
Here is how you can make tadka bread recipe at home:
Preparation Time: 1 minute.
Cooking Time: 4 minutes.
Serves: 1 person.
Course: Side Dish, Snack.
- ½ cup curd.
- 1 tsp Zilli's Red Onion Powder.
- 1 tsp Zilli's Tomato Powder.
- 4 bread slices (chopped into cubes).
- ¼ tsp cumin powder.
- ⅛ tsp sugar.
- 1-2 finely chopped green chillies.
- ½ tsp mustard seeds.
- 5-6 mint leaves.
- A pinch of turmeric powder.
- 2 tbsp oil.
- Salt to taste.
How to Make Tadka Bread:
- In a bowl, add curd, salt, turmeric powder, cumin powder, Red Onion Powder, Tomato Powder, and sugar.
- Whisk well till no lumps are left.
- Add a little water and whisk again. Set the mixture aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard seeds start popping, add the chopped green chillies and stir for a few seconds.
- Next, pour the curd and spice mixture into the pan. Stir continuously and cook till the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the cubed bread slices.
- Fold in the bread cubes gently and mix to ensure the bread is completely coated.
- Cook for a minute to let excess liquid evaporate.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with mint leaves.
Your Tadka Bread is ready!
Tips and Variations for Tadka Bread:
Use any variety of bread you like. White bread, brown bread, whole wheat bread, pav, French baguette, sourdough bread, and even plain buns will work in this bread tadka recipe.
If you want a crunchy texture or are packing this for lunch, toast the bread lightly before you add it to the masala mixture. It will prevent the bread from turning soggy.
Be gentle when you are mixing the bread cubes. If you apply too much pressure, the bread cubes will crumble and may get mashed.
Variations for Tadka Bread Recipe:
- Bread Upma: In a bowl, mix Zilli’s Ginger Powder, tomato powder, turmeric powder, salt, and ¼ cup water. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, asafoetida, chopped green chillies, and whole red chillies for tempering. Add the prepared mixture to the tempering and bring it to a simmer. Next, add the cubed bread slices and mix till well-coated. Lastly, toss in some roasted peanuts and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Egg Bread Tadka: Scramble an egg in the pan before you add the masala mixture. Once the egg gets cooked, add the mixture and the bread pieces. Mix well and enjoy!
- Veggie Tadka Bread: Add vegetables of your choice, such as carrot, green peas, capsicum, and corn, to this recipe for a healthy and hearty snack.
- Cheesy Tadka Bread: Once your bread pieces are coated well with the curd-masala mix, add shredded cheese and cover with a lid. Cook till the cheese melts, sprinkle oregano and red chilli flakes, and mix well to combine. Enjoy!
Serve hot and freshly made for the best taste.
Garnish with mint leaves, sev, or aloo bhujia.
You can also sprinkle chaat masala and add chopped onions and tomatoes for an enhanced texture and flavour.