(Updated on March 11, 2023)
Sweet Potato Chaat, also known as Shakarkandi ki Chaat in Hindi, is a tangy and delicious Indian street food snack. It is healthy, filling, super easy to make, and gets assembled in minutes with just a few common ingredients.
This sweet potato chaat recipe features roasted sweet potatoes tossed in a melange of spices and delectable chutneys and garnished with toppings. Each bite of this shakarkandi ki chaat is packed with sweet, spicy, and tangy flavours.
You can enjoy this scrumptious recipe of sweet potato chaat to satiate your evening hunger pangs or make it for parties, potluck, birthdays, and buffets to wow your guests. With Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you also end up saving a lot of prep time and effort.
Learn how to make sweet potato chaat at home with our step-by-step recipe.
Preparation Time: 2 minutes.
Cooking Time: 8 minutes.
Serves: 2 people.
- A handful of pomegranate seeds.
- Some bhujia or sev.
How to Make Sweet Potato Chaat:
Preparing the Sweet Potatoes:
- Wash and boil the sweet potatoes.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into thick round slices.
- Heat oil in a pan and gently place the sweet potatoes in the oil.
- Pan-fry the sweet potatoes on high flame for about 4 minutes.
- Flip them and cook on the other side for 4 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes become slightly crisp and brown on both sides, you are good to go.
Assembling the Sweet Potato Chaat:
- Transfer the sweet potatoes to a large mixing bowl.
- Add coriander chutney, khatti meethi chutney, salt, cumin powder, chaat masala, chopped green chillies, ginger powder, and lemon powder.
- Mix everything gently until well combined.
- Transfer the prepared chaat to a plate or serving dish.
- Top with pomegranate seeds and bhujia as garnishing.
Your Sweet Potato Chaat Delhi-Style is ready to be served!
Tips and Variations for Sweet Potato Chaat:
Use a sharp knife while chopping the boiled sweet potatoes. It will help cut the sweet potatoes smoothly without mashing them.
Sprinkle some red chilli powder before serving to give it an extra kick of spice.
You can garnish with puris, papdi, crackers, or roasted peanuts to add more crunch.
You can also use chopped cucumber or roasted beets for topping.
Instead of oil, you can also fry the sweet potatoes in ghee.
Variations for Sweet Potato Chaat Recipe:
- Sweet Potato Chaat in Air Fryer: Make this chaat even more healthy. Roast the sweet potatoes in an air fryer at 200C for 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a bowl, add the spices, chutneys, and garnishes, and enjoy!
- Sweet Potato Dahi Chaat: Make your chaat even more delicious and flavourful by adding some whisked hung curd or yoghurt along with the chutneys.
- Sweet Potato & Chickpeas Chaat: Add some boiled chickpeas to the recipe and make your chaat healthier and more nutritious.
- Sweet Potato & Matar Chaat: Add boiled green peas to the chaat to make nutrition-rich shakarkandi chana chaat.
- Dry Sweet Potato Chaat: Skip the chutneys and toss the sweet potatoes with the spices to make dry sweet potato chaat street-style.
- Sweet Potato Chaat for Fast: To make sweet potato chaat for Navratri fast, skip salt, ginger powder, and chaat masala. You can use black pepper powder, cumin powder, rock salt (or sendha namak), lemon powder, and amchur in the recipe.
- Sweet Potato Tikki Chaat: After boiling the sweet potatoes, mash them using a masher. Add all the given spices, red chilli powder, and Zilli’s Amchur Powder, and mix well. Next, add 2 to 3 tbsp of rice flour or all-purpose flour. Mix the ingredients and shape them into medium-sized tikkis. Shallow fry the tikkis until golden brown. Top with yoghurt, green chutney, khatti meethi chutney, chaat masala, sev, and pomegranate seeds, and serve.
Serve the sweet potato chaat directly or chilled.
You can enjoy it as an evening snack or serve it as a party appetizer.