(Updated on March 08, 2023)
The Stuffed Mushroom recipe is a delicious appetizer that is going to be a new favourite in your home. It is a quick, easy, and flavourful preparation that only requires basic cooking skills and ingredients commonly available in kitchens.
This vegetarian stuffed mushroom recipe turns modest mushrooms into savoury delights. Soft mushroom caps are filled with a creamy, garlicky mixture infused with spinach, mushroom stems, and seasonings. These stuffed mushrooms are then topped with grated cheese and cooked to perfection.
You can serve this plain or with some delectable dips to your friends and family at the next get-together. It is a total crowd-pleaser, and they will definitely ask for round two. With Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you can make a large batch without worrying about tiresome prep work like peeling and chopping onions and garlic. A win-win!
Here are the step-by-step instructions to make this easy stuffed mushroom recipe at home.
Preparation Time: 2 minutes.
Cooking Time: 8 minutes.
Serves: 2 people.
- 10-12 mushroom heads.
- 10-12 finely chopped mushroom stems.
- 1 tsp Zilli's Red Onion Powder.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Garlic Powder.
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach.
- 2 finely chopped green chillies.
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour (maida).
- 1 cup or 250 ml milk.
- 2 tbsp grated cheese
- 2 tsp butter.
- Salt to taste.
How to Make Stuffed Mushrooms:
Preparing the Mushrooms:
- Clean the mushrooms by rinsing and wiping them dry.
- Remove the stems from the mushrooms, leaving the cap aside.
- Chop the stems into small pieces for the filling.
Making the Stuffing:
- Heat a teaspoon of butter in a pan.
- Add the spinach leaves and chopped mushroom stems. Sauté well.
- Add salt, red onion powder, garlic powder, and chopped green chillies. Mix very well.
- Cover with a lid and cook for two minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the lid and give it a mix again.
- Add maida and mix thoroughly until well combined. The raw smell of flour should go away.
- Slowly and gently pour the milk while stirring continuously.
- Let it come to a simmer and keep stirring till the mixture has thickened.
Your stuffed mushrooms spinach filling is ready.
Cooking the Stuffed Mushrooms:
- Take the mushroom caps and stuff each mushroom with the prepared spinach filling using a small spoon.
- Top it up with some grated cheese.
- Heat 1 tsp butter in a pan or a skillet.
- Place and arrange the stuffed mushrooms carefully in the pan.
- Cover with a lid and cook for two minutes over low heat or till the cheese melts
- Transfer to a serving plate.
Your spinach-stuffed mushrooms are ready to be served and enjoyed!
Tips and Variations for Stuffed Mushrooms:
Clean the mushrooms by giving them a quick rinse under cold water. Immediately wipe dry with a damp paper towel or wet cloth.
You can use button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or portobello mushrooms for this recipe.
Consume the spinach and cheese stuffed mushrooms immediately after serving, or the mushrooms will become soggy.
If you are baking the stuffed mushrooms, sprinkle bread crumbs over the top for added crunch and flavour.
Variations for Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe:
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Crab: Make a filling with 100g cooked crab meat, mayo, cream cheese, garlic powder, pepper powder, salt, oregano, parsley, and chopped green onions. Stuff them generously inside mushroom caps and top with grated cheese. Cook on low heat or bake in an oven.
- Stuffed Mushrooms with Sausage: Cook the sausage well and break it into small pieces. Add chopped mushroom stems, garlic powder, red onion powder, cream cheese, and parmesan cheese. Mix well, stuff the filling inside the mushrooms, and cook.
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms: Replace the flour and milk with ½ cup of cream cheese. Mix well with the spinach filling, stuff it inside mushroom caps, and top with grated cheese. Cook and enjoy.
- Keto Stuffed Mushrooms: To make your stuffed mushrooms recipe keto, you must avoid using flour and milk. Replace them with extra cheese or some cream cheese. Similarly, skip or reduce the amount of onion powder.
- Air Fryer Stuffed Mushrooms: Cook the vegetable stuffed mushrooms in an air fryer at 370° for about 5-6 minutes.
Serve the stuffed mushrooms hot and consume them right away.
Enjoy them with a dip such as ketchup, mayo, schezwan sauce, coriander chutney, or mint chutney.
Pair them with soup, steak, or salad to make a complete meal.