Stuffed Bell Peppers is a tasty, indulgent, and lip-smacking starter dish that is super easy to make and packed with delicious flavours. With just a handful of ingredients required, it is completely fuss-free and can be prepared quickly.
In this stuffed bell peppers recipe, a hearty spiced potato filling is stuffed into hollow capsicum rings, which are pan-fried to golden-brown perfection. The bell peppers give it a good crunch and a distinct flavour, while the soft and spicy mashed potato filling makes this vegetarian stuffed capsicum even more delightful.
You can make these tasty and easy stuffed bell peppers as an evening snack, side dish, or party appetizer. It is also a fun way to include capsicum in your meal, making it more palatable to kids. And with Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you can save a lot of prep time and effort.
Here is how you can make this vegetarian stuffed bell peppers recipe.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
Cooking Time: 15 minutes.
Serves: 2 people.
Course: Starter, Side Dish.
- 2 hollow capsicums.
- 2 boiled raw bananas.
- 2 boiled potatoes.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Ginger Powder.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Garlic Powder.
- 1½ tsp Zilli's Red Onion Powder.
- ½ tsp red chilli powder.
- ½ tsp of crushed ajwain (carom seeds).
- 2½ tsp besan (gram flour).
- 3 tsp ghee.
- Salt as per taste.
How to Make Stuffed Bell Peppers:
Preparing the Stuffing:
- In a bowl, mash the boiled potatoes and the raw bananas together.
- Add Red Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Ginger Powder, red chilli powder, crushed ajwain (carom seeds), besan (gram flour), and salt to the potatoes.
- Mix everything well and set aside.
Making the Capsicum Rings:
- Cut off the top head of the bell peppers (or capsicum) and remove the seeds and the core to hollow it out.
- Stuff the bell peppers generously with the potato mixture. Press tightly using a spoon or your palm to level the mixture properly.
- Cut the bell peppers into one-inch-thick rings using a sharp knife.
Assembling the Stuffed Bell Peppers Ring:
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a flat pan and grease it well.
- Gently transfer the capsicum rings to the pan.
- Brush some ghee on the top and around the capsicum rings.
- Cover the pan with a lid and pan-fry it over a medium-to-low flame for 4-5 minutes.
- Open the lid and check whether the capsicum rings have turned golden brown on the bottom.
- Once cooked, flip the capsicum carefully using a spoon or spatula.
- Drizzle some ghee over the pan. Cover and let it cook on the other side for 4-5 more minutes.
- Once done, turn the flame off.
Your Stuffed Bell Peppers are ready to be served and enjoyed!
Tips and Variations for Stuffed Bell Peppers:
You can make this delicious stuffed capsicum recipe with green, red, orange, and yellow bell peppers to make it more colourful.
Experiment with stuffings, seasonings, and toppings by adding vegetables, spices, and meats of your choice.
Be gentle when hollowing out the capsicum to avoid breaking it. Take off the crown, remove the core, and deseed carefully.
Make sure that the potatoes are mashed well. If the stuffing is lumpy and not well combined, it may come out of the capsicum when frying.
Stuff the capsicum firmly and thoroughly. Stuffing that is not tightly packed may come out while cutting or frying.
Avoid overcooking the capsicum or slicing thinner rings since it may fall apart when lifting or flipping.
Variations for Stuffed Bell Peppers Recipe:
- Whole Stuffed Bell Peppers: Instead of cutting into rings, you can cook, steam, or bake the stuffed bell peppers whole.
- Rice Stuffed Bell Peppers: Stuff your bell peppers firmly with cooked white or brown rice with potatoes, Zilli’s Tomato Powder, and other spices and seasonings of your liking. If you are cooking whole bell peppers, you can combine cooked rice with mashed beans, corn, ground chicken, and spices.
- Keto Stuffed Bell Peppers: You can make your stuffed bell peppers keto by simply altering the filling. Use low-carb options such as ground chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms, and other low-carb veggies and proteins that you prefer.
- Chicken Stuffed Bell Peppers: Make your stuffed bell peppers with chicken. Use shredded or ground chicken with the potatoes, or make a kebab-style filling with chicken, potatoes, boiled chickpeas, veggies, and spices.
- Vegan Stuffed Capsicum: To make your stuffed capsicum vegan, replace the ghee with vegan butter or any neutral vegetable oil.
- Paneer Stuffed Capsicum: Substitute the raw bananas in this recipe with grated or crumbled paneer to make paneer stuffed capsicum. Alternatively, you can use tofu to make it vegan.
- Egg Bell Pepper Rings: Serve eggs in style for breakfast with bell pepper rings. Place the pepper rings on the pan and crack an egg directly into the ring. Add spinach and chopped tomatoes, and sprinkle salt, pepper, and other seasonings of your choice. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, transfer to a plate and enjoy. You can also prepare an omelette mixture and pour it into the bell pepper rings.
- Stuffed Bell Peppers in Air Fryer: You can bake your stuffed bell pepper rings in an air fryer or oven. Brush your stuffed bell peppers with some oil and bake in a preheated air fryer or oven for 6-8 minutes on each side till it becomes golden brown.
Serve stuffed capsicum rings hot and crisp.
Enjoy these vegetarian stuffed bell peppers as a starter with ketchup or green chutney on the side.
You can also serve it as a side dish with dal-rice or chicken curry.