(Updated on March 13, 2023)
Onion Cheese Paratha is a unique and delicious spin on the classic old parathas. It is a stuffed Indian flatbread that is cheesy, flavoursome, and totally irresistible – perfect for enjoying as breakfast, carrying in your lunch box, or relishing as an evening munch.
This melt-in-your-mouth Onion Cheese Paratha recipe features a whole wheat flatbread flavoured with a wholesome and savoury stuffing made with cheese spread, onion powder, and other ingredients. The result is a delectable, mildly spicy, flaky, and gooey Paratha with the fantastic taste of onions that will leave you wanting more.
Our fuss-free Onion Cheese Paratha is super filling, easy to make, and requires only a few common ingredients. And with Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you won’t have to worry about washing, peeling, or chopping onions. Your kids will surely love it too!
Learn how to make Onion Cheese Paratha at home in simple steps:
Preparation Time: 15 minutes.
Cooking Time: 5 minutes.
Serves: 4 parathas (2 people).
Course: Snack, Breakfast.
- 5 tsp wheat flour.
- 3 tsp plain cheese spread.
- 2 tsp Zilli's Red Onion Powder.
- ¼ tsp Zilli's Ginger Powder.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Garlic Powder.
- 1 finely chopped green chilli.
- 1 tsp crushed coriander leaves.
- 5 tsp of ghee.
- 1 tsp vegetable oil.
- Salt as per taste.
How to Make Onion Cheese Paratha:
Making the Dough:
- In a large mixing bowl, add the wheat flour, Ginger Powder, Garlic Powder, Red Onion Powder, and salt. Mix it well.
- Add cheese spread and vegetable oil to the wheat flour and mix to combine.
- Next, add the crushed coriander leaves and finely chopped green chilli.
- Add some water and mix everything together to make a dough.
- Knead the dough well for a few minutes till it becomes smooth and soft.
- Cover the dough with a plate or a kitchen towel and keep it aside for 15 minutes.
Rolling out the Parathas:
- Divide the dough into four equal parts and roll each piece into a ball shape.
- Take a ball and dust and dust with wheat flour.
- With a rolling pin, roll the ball into a chapati.
Cooking the Cheese Onion Paratha:
- Heat a tawa or pan over medium-to-high heat.
- Place your paratha on the tawa and cook over high flame for a minute.
- Once the bottom is partially cooked, flip the paratha and reduce the heat.
- Spread 1.5 tsp ghee on the semi-cooked part and cook for 35-40 seconds.
- Flip again and apply some ghee on the other side as well.
- Press the paratha with a masher, spatula, or spoon until it is well-roasted on both sides.
Your Paratha is ready to be served!
Tips and Variations for Onion Cheese Paratha:
Knead the paratha dough well until it is smooth, soft, and workable. If it is not soft, it will make your parathas too chewy and dense. On the other hand, if it is too loose or sticky, rolling out the paratha will be difficult.
Serve the cheese and onion parathas hot. Making them in advance or serving it cold might affect the texture and flavour.
If you don’t have cheese spread, you can also add melted cheese or shredded cheese of your choice to your paratha.
Instead of kneading the cheese and other ingredients with the dough, you can use them as stuffing. After rolling out the dough, place your filling in the centre and close the dough from all the edges. Then, roll it out again gently and cook.
Variations of Onion Cheese Paratha Recipe:
- Spring Onion Cheese Paratha: Use spring onion and cheese as stuffing for your paratha. When you roll out your dough, place spring onion and cheese in the centre with other ingredients, enclose the dough from all sides, dust it with flour, and roll it out again. Cook and enjoy!
- Aloo Onion Cheese Paratha: Mix ½ cup of boiled and mashed potatoes with cheese, onion powder, and other spices. Use this as a stuffing for your paratha to make aloo onion cheese paratha.
- Paneer Onion Cheese Paratha: Add ½ cup of grated paneer with cheese, red onion powder, and other ingredients. Use it as a stuffing in your parathas.
- Pizza-Flavoured Paratha: Mix ½ cup finely chopped capsicum, ¼ cup grated corn, 1 tbsp chopped black olives (optional), grated cheese, oregano, and chilli flakes. Use this as a stuffing to make Pizza-flavoured Paratha.
Serve your onion cheese paratha hot.
Enjoy it with curd, plain yoghurt, ketchup, or mango pickle on the side.
You can also eat it with your favourite sabzi or have it alongside your chai.