Moong Dal Chilla Wrap (Lentil Wrap) is a healthy, delicious, and nutrition-rich breakfast item and snack. It uses moong dal chillas (or cheelas), savoury Indian pancakes made with soaked yellow lentils. It is versatile, requires minimal ingredients, and can be prepared in a jiffy.
This hearty moong dal wrap recipe features thin and crispy moong dal chillas stuffed with an assortment of vegetables and flavourful spices, making it a protein-rich, filling, and nutritious dish. The moong dal chilla wrap is slightly spicy and savoury and tastes wonderful when paired with a chutney or dip.
You can serve it as breakfast, evening snack, party appetizer, or in your school or office lunch boxes. And with Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you can avoid the hassle of peeling and chopping ginger and onions.
Learn how to make the moong dal chilla wrap with our step-by-step instructions:
Preparation Time: 8 minutes.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes.
Serves: 2 people.
Course: Snack, Breakfast.
- ½ cup moong dal.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Ginger Powder.
- 1 tsp Zilli's Red Onion Powder.
- 1 cup water.
- 1 tsp butter.
- 2-3 chopped green chillies.
- 1 medium-sized carrot (finely chopped).
- 1 cup chopped capsicum.
- 1 cup coarsely ground corn or frozen corn.
- ½ cup finely chopped mushrooms.
- 1 boiled and chopped potato.
- 100g grated paneer.
- Salt to taste.
- 2-3 springs of finely chopped coriander leaves.
- 2-3 spoons of ghee.
How to Make Moong Dal Chilla Wrap:
Prep Work: Wash and soak the moong dal in water for 8 hours or overnight.
Preparing the Moong Dal Batter:
- Add your soaked and drained moong dal to a blender jar with salt, ginger powder, one finely chopped green chilli, and ⅓ cup water.
- Blend it well to make a smooth and fine batter.
- Transfer the blended moong dal to a bowl. Add another ⅓ cup water and mix well. The batter should be of thin and pouring consistency – neither too thick nor too watery.
- Add more water if required to achieve the desired consistency and mix well.
Your Moong Dal Chilla Batter is ready.
Preparing the Stuffing:
- To prepare the stuffing, heat the butter in a pan.
- Add the chopped carrots and sauté well.
- Next, add the corn, capsicum, mushrooms, and potatoes, and sauté everything together.
- Add the salt, Red Onion Powder, and two chopped green chillies. Mix well.
- Cover with a lid and cook for a minute over medium heat.
- Open the lid and sauté. Add the grated paneer and coriander leaves and mix well again.
Your stuffing is now ready.
Cooking the Chillas:
- Heat ¼ tsp ghee on a tawa, pan, or skillet.
- Wipe the tawa with a kitchen towel.
- Pour one ladle of the moong dal chilla batter in a circular motion.
- Spread the batter into a circle to make a round, like dosas. Make it as thin as possible.
- Cook the chilla for a minute over medium-to-high heat.
- Drizzle a little ghee over the chilla and around the edges.
- When the chilla becomes crispy, flip it carefully and cook the other side for a minute.
Your Moong Dal Chilla is ready. Repeat the process till your batter is used up or till you have the required amount of chillas.
Making the Wraps:
- Transfer the chilla to a plate.
- Place the stuffing lengthwise along the centre of the chilla.
- Wrap the chilla into a three-fold.
- Cut the wrap diagonally from the centre into two pieces.
Your Moongdal Cheela Wrap is ready to be served!
Tips and Variations for Moong Dal Chilla Wrap Recipe:
The batter should have proper consistency, not too thin or too thick.
If you want your chilla to be crispier, spread it as thinly as possible.
You can also add a little rice flour to the batter to make it light and crisp.
If the pan is too hot, your batter may stick to the spoon and fall apart, making it difficult to spread evenly. Before you make the next chilla, bring the heat to a low. Splash some water on the pan, wipe with a kitchen towel, and then pour your batter.
Variations for Moong Dal Chilla Wrap Recipe:
- Green Moong Dal Chilla Wrap: Don’t have yellow moong dal? Learn how to make green moong dal chilla wrap. You can soak and use green moong dal to make this into a whole moong chilla recipe. Make the chillas, add your fillings, and enjoy!
- Instant Moong Dal Chilla Recipe: To make instant moong dal chilla wraps, you can use moong dal atta for the batter or soak the moong dal in hot water for 10 minutes. The texture and taste may vary, but it is easier and quicker.
- Spinach Moong Dal Chilla Wraps: Finely chop a little spinach and add it to your moong dal chilla batter. Alternatively, you can use sautéed spinach with shredded cheese as a stuffing for your moong dal chilla wraps.
- Vegan Wraps: Moong dal chilla is vegan, but there is paneer in the wrap filling. You can use crumbled tofu instead of paneer to make it vegan.
Serve the Moong Dal Chilla wrap with tomato ketchup, mint and coriander chutney, or curry leaves and dahi chutney.
You can also serve it alongside roasted red bell pepper dip or spicy garlic chutney for a hint of tang and spiciness.
If you don’t want to add the filling, you can use the moong dal chillas to scoop up sabzis, gravies, and rich curries.