(Updated on March 10, 2023)
Masala Toast is a quick, healthy, and yummy snack, perfect for when you are craving something spicy and filling. It calls for a handful of common pantry ingredients and can be prepared within minutes!
This mouth-watering masala bread toast recipe features crispy toasted bread slices layered generously with a mix of potatoes and spices and topped with gooey cheese. It is bursting with tangy, spicy, and savoury flavours in every bite, and the cheese takes it to an entirely different level of decadence.
You can enjoy this masala toast as a filling, power-packed breakfast or a quick evening snack. This spicy masala bread toast recipe will be a hit among your kids. And with Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you can save a lot of time on prep work too!
Learn how to make this easy 5-minute Masala Toast Recipe:
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 5 minutes.
Serves: 1 person.
Potato Masala (Filling):
- 4 boiled potatoes.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Ginger Powder.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Lemon Powder.
- 1 tsp black salt.
- Salt to taste.
- 1 tsp chaat masala.
- ½ tsp cumin powder.
- 1-2 chopped green chillies.
Masala Toast Preparation:
- 2 slices of bread.
- 1 tsp butter
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- Bhujia or Sev (as required).
How to Make Masala Toast Recipe:
Preparing the Potato Masala:
- Take four boiled potatoes in a bowl. Mash well with your hands or with a fork.
- Add the Ginger Powder, Lemon Powder, black salt, chaat masala, cumin powder, finely chopped green chillies, and salt as per taste. Mix well and set aside.
Making the Masala Toast:
- Heat a pan or tawa on a low-to-medium flame.
- Place one slice of bread with butter applied to it. Toast the buttered side for a minute till it turns crisp and golden.
- Transfer the slice to a plate with the toasted side upwards.
- Generously spread the prepared potato masala over it.
- Layer with grated cheese evenly.
- Melt ½ tsp butter in the pan and place the assembled masala toast on the pan with the untoasted side on the bottom.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 1 to 2 minutes over medium flame.
- Check whether the base is toasted by lifting it slightly using a spatula.
- Once cooked, transfer the masala toast to a plate and top with bhujia or sev.
Your Masala Toast is ready to be served and enjoyed!
Tips and Variations for Masala Bread Toast Recipe:
You may use any variety of bread, such as white, brown, multigrain, wholewheat, sourdough, or any other.
You can choose to add other vegetables, such as boiled corn, boiled peas, chopped capsicum, grated paneer, chopped carrot, etc., to the potato masala mixture.
The potato mixture can be prepared and stored in advance. Just assemble and cook the masala toast when you wish.
You can also add red chilli flakes and dried herbs of your choice.
This spicy masala bread toast recipe can also be made in an oven or air fryer.
Variations of Masala Toast Recipe:
- Masala Toast Sandwich Recipe: Make this into a delicious masala sandwich recipe. Use the potato mixture as a filling between two bread slices and toast it in a panini press or toaster.
- Egg Masala Toast Recipe: Skip the potatoes and coat the bread slices in a batter made with eggs, Ginger Powder, Lemon Powder, salt, cumin powder, chaat masala, finely chopped onion, green chillies, tomato, and milk. Pan-fry both sides and enjoy this savoury version of French toast.
- Vegan Masala Toast: Turn this aloo masala toast recipe into vegan. Replace the butter with olive oil or vegan butter spread. Omit the cheese or replace it with vegan cheese.
- Low-Carb Spicy Masala Toast: Replace potatoes with boiled and mashed cauliflower. Go for a low-carb or Keto bread instead of regular.
Serve the masala toast on its own or with tomato ketchup, mint and coriander chutney, mayonnaise, or schezwan sauce.
Enjoy it for breakfast or as an evening snack alongside a hot cup of tea.