Jhal Muri is a delicious and popular street food snack from Kolkata that is loved and enjoyed by people of all ages across West Bengal. It is a quick, tasty, and filling recipe you can make within just 5 minutes!
The word Jhal means spicy, and muri means puffed rice in Bengali. Like its name, this Kolkata Jhal Muri recipe features puffed rice tossed in an assortment of vegetables and roasted peanuts, further seasoned with the special jhal muri moshla and drizzled with mustard oil. It is spicy, tangy, crunchy, and savoury.
Jhal Muri is easy to assemble, making it a perfect choice as an evening tea-time snack, a midnight nosh, and for picnics, get-togethers, potlucks, or even road trips. Zilli’s Kolkata Jhal Muri Masala, made with a blend of spices, infuses layers of flavours and deep aroma into the jhal muri.
Here is how you can make this addictive Kolkata Jhal Muri recipe at home:
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
Cooking Time: 0 minutes.
Serves: 2 people.
- 2.5 cups of puffed rice.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Kolkata Jhal Muri Masala.
- 1 finely chopped onion.
- 1 finely chopped tomato.
- 1 large boiled and chopped potato.
- ¼ cup of finely chopped coriander leaves.
- ½ tsp Mustard Oil.
- ¼ roasted peanuts.
How to Make Kolkata’s Famous Jhal Muri at Home:
- Take a mixing bowl and add muri to it.
- Add the Jhal Muri Masala, onion, tomato, potato, coriander leaves, and roasted peanuts to the bowl.
- Once all the jhal muri ingredients are added, drizzle a little mustard oil over it at the end.
- Mix and toss the Bengali jhal muri well.
Your Jhal Muri Kolkata-Style is ready! Serve and consume right away!
Tips and Variations for Jhal Muri Recipe:
The muri (puffed rice) should be crispy. If it is not crispy, dry roast it in a pan for 2-3 minutes over low flame. Alternatively, microwave it for 30-60 seconds till it gets crisp.
You can add sev or chana chur as a garnish for more crunch and flavour.
Mustard oil is essential in this recipe and highly recommended for Jhal Muri’s Authentic Kolkata flavour.
To enjoy the taste and crispiness of jhal muri, consume it immediately.
Variations of Jhal Muri:
- Bhel Puri: The bhel puri from Maharashtra is a classic and popular variant of Jhal Muri. You can learn how to make it on our easy Bhel Puri recipe.
Serve it in a paper cone for the street-style authentic feel.
Jhal Muri also pairs well with a cup of Masala Tea or Filter Coffee in the evenings.