(Updated on March 10, 2023)
Tomato Rava Dosa, also known as Thakkali Rava Dosai, is a delicious twist to the classic South Indian dosa. It is a simple breakfast recipe and can be prepared quickly with just a handful of ingredients.
This tasty tomato dosa is bright in colour, crispy, and mildly spiced, with a strong touch of tanginess from the tomatoes. The best part is that you can make this tomato rava dosa at home in an instant without grinding, fermentation, or soaking for long hours.
This easy tomato rava dosa recipe is perfect for busy breakfasts or lazy evenings and weekends. With Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you also don’t have to worry about extra prep work like peeling, chopping, and blending up tomatoes, onion, and ginger.
Learn how to prepare tomato rava dosa quickly with our easy step-by-step recipe.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes.
Serves: 8 to 10 dosas.
Cuisine: South Indian.
- ½ cup rava / sooji (semolina).
- ½ cup rice flour.
- ¼ cup wheat flour.
- 2 tsp Zilli's Tomato Powder.
- 1 tsp Zilli's Red Onion Powder.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Ginger Powder.
- 750 ml water.
- ½ tsp cumin.
- ½ tsp red chilli powder.
- Salt as per taste.
- ¼ tsp black pepper.
- 2 tsp ghee or oil.
How to Make Tomato Rava Dosa:
Preparing the Tomato Rava Dosa Batter:
- In a bowl, combine rava (sooji/semolina), rice flour, wheat flour, Zilli’s Tomato Powder, Ginger Powder, and Red Onion Powder. Mix well.
- Add 2 cups or 500 ml of water and whisk till it is smooth and lump-free.
- Cover and let the batter rest for 30 minutes.
- Next, add cumin seeds, red chilli powder, black pepper, and salt as per taste to the batter.
- Add 1 cup of 250 ml of water and mix well till there are no lumps left. The batter should be of thin and flowy consistency.
Making the Dosas:
- Heat the dosa tawa over a high flame.
- Pour one ladle of the tomato rava dosa batter over the hot tawa. Don’t try to fill in the small holes.
- Drizzle a few drops of oil or ghee over the dosa.
- Cook it for 3 minutes or until the dosa becomes crispy and brown.
- Fold the dosa in half and transfer to a serving plate!
Your Tomato Rava Dosa is ready to be enjoyed!
Tips and Variations for Tomato Rava Dosa Recipe:
Unlike regular dosas, the tomato rava dosa batter should be thin and runny.
Keep the tawa on medium-to-high heat when pouring the batter.
Stir the batter well each time before you pour, as rava tends to settle down at the bottom.
Instead of water, you can also use buttermilk for the batter.
Variations of Tomato Rava Dosa:
Tomato Rava Masala Dosa: Stuff the dosa with potato masala, fold, and serve! You can make the potato masala by sauteing chopped boiled potatoes with soaked chana dal, mustard seeds, Zilli’s Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Ginger Powder, turmeric powder, curry leaves, hing (asafoetida), chopped green chillies, and salt.
Cheesy Tomato Rava Dosa: Sprinkle grated cheese when dosa is cooked halfway. Let the cheese melt to gooey goodness, fold the dosa, and serve!
Tomato Rava Dosa with Jowar Flour: Give your instant dosa a healthy twist by making it with jowar (sorghum) flour instead of rava.
Andhra Style: Make Andhra Style Erra Karam Tomato Dosa with classic red chutney.
For the red chutney, soak 5-6 dry red chillies in hot water for 15 minutes. Blend them with ½ tsp Zilli’s Tamarind Powder, ½ tsp Onion Powder, ½ tsp Garlic Powder, and some water into a smooth paste. Add a tempering of mustard seeds, smear it over the dosa, and enjoy!
Enjoy Tomato Rava Dosa with Sambar, Coconut Chutney, or Curry Leaves Dahi Chutney.
It also tastes amazing alongside tomato chutney, peanut chutney, and dosa podi.
Serve it alongside South Indian Filter Coffee for an excellent start to your day.