(Updated on March 07, 2023)
Chilli Garlic Noodles is a quick and delicious noodle stir-fry recipe that will satisfy all your cravings for Indo-Chinese food. It is simple, packed with a melange of flavours, and gets ready within just 10 minutes!
This easy chilli garlic noodles recipe includes noodles tossed with loads of crunchy vegetables, spices and aromatics, and sweet, salty, and savoury Chinese sauces. It is super tasty, a tad spicy, and full of garlicky and umami flavours – sure to leave you craving more.
The best part? This chilli garlic Hakka noodles recipe requires only a few common ingredients and little prep work. And with Zilli’s Cold Pressed Spices, you don’t have to deal with the hassle of peeling and chopping garlic and onions. Who knew making delicious restaurant-style Chinese would be so easy?
You can enjoy this for a satisfying dinner, a weekend meal, a fun family evening, a potluck, or even your kids’ birthday party (scale it up!).
Learn how to make Chilli Garlic Noodles at home with our step-by-step recipe.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes.
Cooking Time: 10 minutes.
Serves: 2 people.
Course: Main Course.
- 200g maize or aata noodles.
- Salt to taste.
- 9 tsp oil.
- 1 medium-sized chopped carrot.
- ¼ cup chopped beans.
- 4 chopped spring onions.
- ½ cup chopped cabbage.
- ½ cup chopped capsicum.
- ½ tsp black pepper.
- 2 small green chillies.
- 1 tsp Zilli's Garlic Powder.
- 1 tsp Zilli's Red Onion Powder.
- 1½ tbsp vinegar.
- 1½ tbsp soy sauce.
- 2 tbsp green chilli sauce.
- 2-3 sprigs of finely chopped coriander leaves
- 2 litres of water.
How to Make Chilli Garlic Noodles:
Boiling the Noodles:
- In a pan or kadhai (wok), heat 1 litre of water with salt and 2-3 tsp of oil. Let it come to a boil.
- Add the noodles and give them a stir. Let it cook for 2 to 3 minutes until al dente or till a noodle string is breakable with fingers.
- Strain the noodles using a colander and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
Blanching the Vegetables:
- Boil 400 ml of water in a vessel.
- Add chopped carrots and beans along with salt as per taste.
- Close the flame and let the vegetables blanch in the water for 2 minutes. Strain and keep aside.
Preparing the Chilli Garlic Hakka Noodles:
- Heat 4 tsp oil in a wok or kadhai. Keep the heat on high flame throughout the process.
- Add the chopped white bulb of the spring onion and stir fry for a few seconds.
- Then, toss in the blanched carrot and beans with cabbage and capsicum. Continue to sauté over high heat.
- Add salt as required, black pepper powder, red onion powder, garlic powder, and chopped green chillies. Mix well.
- Next, add the sauces one by one – soy sauce, green chilli sauce, and vinegar. Stir well for a minute to combine with the vegetables.
- Toss in your cooked noodles. Stir fry for a minute until the noodles are well-coated with the sauce.
- Finally, add the green leafy part of the spring onions and mix to combine. Turn off the flame and transfer to a serving dish.
Your Quick Chilli Garlic Noodles are ready to serve and enjoy!
Tips and Variations for Chilli Garlic Noodles Recipe:
You can use any variety of noodles like Hakka noodles, egg noodles (Lo Mein), whole wheat noodles, Soba noodles, Udon noodles, Rice Noodles, Spaghetti, or Linguine.
Avoid overcooking the noodles and boil until they are 70-80% cooked. If you overcook them, they will become mushy later. Follow the instructions on the packet when in doubt.
Keep everything ready before you start. This recipe is cooked on high heat, so it is necessary to have all the ingredients ready to be added.
You can add vegetables of your liking, such as cabbage, baby corn, bell peppers, broccoli, spinach, Bok Choy, French beans, etc.
You can make this Chinese Chilli Garlic Noodles Recipe using Zilli’s Wood Pressed Sesame Oil for a more authentic flavour.
Variations of Chilli Garlic Noodles:
- Gluten-Free: To make this recipe gluten-free, use rice noodles instead of regular and Tamari, Fish Sauce, or Zilli’s Tomato Powder instead of Soy Sauce.
- Schezwan Chilli Garlic Noodles: Amp up the spice factor by turning this into Schezwan Chilli Garlic Noodles. Add 1 or 2 tbsp of schezwan chutney or sauce to the veggies, and you’re all set.
- Spicy Garlic Oil Noodles: Prepare chilli garlic oil by mixing minced garlic, garlic powder, sesame seeds, red chilli powder, chilli flakes, and soy sauce in a heat-proof bowl. Heat some oil in a pan and pour it over this mixture. Take some of the prepared spicy chilli garlic oil and toss it with your cooked noodles. Voila!
- Simple Chilli Garlic Noodles: Sometimes, you want to keep things lighter. Skip on the veggies and reduce the quantity of sauces for a simpler, toned-down version of this recipe.
- Chilli Garlic Mushroom Noodles: Give this recipe a mushroom twist by adding button mushrooms, cremini, or shiitake mushrooms along with the veggies.
- Proteins of Choice: Want to add more protein? Toss in some tofu, paneer, sauteed shrimp, or shredded chicken to the recipe.
You can serve these spicy chilli garlic noodles on their own or alongside a bowl of soup such as Hot and Sour Soup, Egg Drop Soup, or Sweet Corn Soup.
You can pair it with dishes like chilli paneer, Manchurian, meatballs, spicy tofu, garlic mushrooms, spring rolls, fried rice, or dumplings/momos.
Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and drizzle with chilli oil or Sriracha before serving.