Masala Chaas, also known as Indian Spiced Buttermilk, is a classic, refreshing, and delicious summer drink made with curd, water, and a few commonly available herbs and spices.
This Chaas recipe is light on your stomach and has a mildly spicy, sour, and tangy taste, making it perfect to enjoy after a heavy meal. It is a low-calorie, low-carb, and diabetic-friendly drink and also aids in digestion and boosts your energy and immunity.
You only need five minutes and a handful of ingredients to prepare this yummy spiced buttermilk recipe. It is the ideal thirst-quencher to help you beat the scorching summer heat. Quick, healthy, and oh, so cooling!
Learn how you can make this easy and refreshing Masala Chaas for your next meal:
Preparation Time: 5 minutes.
Cooking Time: 0 minutes.
Serves: 2 people.
- 250 ml curd.
- 500 ml (or 2 cups) of water.
- ½ tsp Zilli's Ginger Powder.
- Salt as per taste.
- ½ tsp cumin powder.
- A few coriander or mint leaves for garnishing.
How to Make Masala Chaas:
- Add curd and water to a large vessel or a mixing bowl.
- Next, add salt, Zilli’s Ginger Powder, and cumin powder to the curd.
- Use a hand churner or blender to combine everything well until the mixture becomes nice and frothy.
- Pour it into serving glasses.
- Garnish with a few mint or coriander leaves and serve immediately or chilled.
Tips and Variations for Masala Chaas Recipe:
- Curd: Use fresh curd that is not sour for the best taste.
- Fresh Herbs: We recommend using fresh mint for an enhanced flavour. Feel free to use dried leaves if you do not have fresh ones.
- Fasting: Having this during a Navrati or any other fast? Use rock salt (Sendha Namak) instead of regular table salt.
Variations of our Chaas Recipe:
- Mint / Pudina Chaas: Blend the mint leaves with the buttermilk to make a delicious Pudina Chaas with an even better cooling effect.
- Tadka Chaas: This version of Chaas, also called Neer Moru, is consumed in South India. In this variant, you will need to temper cumin seeds, mustard seeds, curry leaves, asafoetida (hing), and green chillies and add them to your Chaas.
- Boondi Chaas: If you want a crunchy bite with your Chaas, add some boondi on the top just before serving.
- Cucumber Chaas: Add pureed cucumber to your spiced buttermilk to make it even more refreshing and healthy.
- Beetroot Chaas: Peel and puree some beetroot and add it to the Chaas. It will give your drink a nice pop of colour and flavour and add to its nutritional value.
- Smoked Chaas: This one has a smoky, Tandoori-like flavour. To make it, pour Chaas into a large bowl. Place a hot piece of coal into a smaller steel bowl. Place this small bowl on your Chaas and add ½ tsp ghee on top of the coal. Once it starts smoking, immediately cover the large bowl with a lid. Remove the lid after 20 seconds, give your Chaas a quick stir, serve, and enjoy!
Serving Ideas for this Masala Chaas Recipe:
The best way to consume Chaas is chilled. Add a few ice cubes when serving or chill it in the fridge for a few hours.
Garnish with mint or coriander leaves for a refreshing taste.
You can also sprinkle a little Chaat Masala before serving to add a tart, zingy flavour.
It is best to serve it after your meal as it is easy on the stomach and also aids digestion.